Smart shoppers know that auto insurance companies don’t want you comparing rates. Insureds who shop around for the cheapest rate will probably buy a different policy because there is a high probability of finding good coverage at a lower price. A recent insurance study discovered that drivers who made a habit of comparing rates saved about $72 a month compared to those who never shopped around for cheaper prices.
If finding low prices for car insurance is your objective, then having some insight into how to shop and compare coverages can help you succeed in finding affordable rates.
It takes a little time, but the best way to find better pricing on car insurance rates in Albuquerque is to compare prices once a year from insurers who sell insurance in New Mexico. Rate comparisons can be done by following these guidelines.
- Gain an understanding of individual coverages and the changes you can make to prevent high rates. Many policy risk factors that cause high rates such as traffic violations and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be remedied by paying attention to minor details.
- Request price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agents can quote rates for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Compare the quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find better rates and change companies, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Tell your current agent or company of your decision to cancel your current policy and submit a signed application and payment to the new insurer. Be sure to keep your new proof of insurance certificate in your vehicle.
A good piece of advice is that you’ll want to compare the same level of coverage on each price quote and and to get price estimates from as many auto insurance providers as possible. Doing this helps ensure a fair price comparison and the best price selection.
If you already have coverage or just want a better rate, use these tips to lower your rates without reducing coverage. The purpose of this post is to let you in on the best ways to compare prices and also save some money in the process Shoppers just need to understand the best way to shop from multiple carriers.
The companies shown below provide quotes in Albuquerque, NM. If you wish to find cheap auto insurance in New Mexico, we suggest you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
Take policy discounts and save on Subaru Crosstrek insurance in Albuquerque
Car insurance companies don’t always list the complete list of policy discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we researched both the well known as well as some of the hidden credits available to you.
- Driver’s Ed – Require your teen driver to successfully complete driver’s ed class if offered at their school.
- Resident Student – Kids who live away from home at college and don’t have a car could qualify for this discount.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers – Safe drivers can save up to 40% or more on their Albuquerque car insurance quote as compared to drivers with claims.
- Drive Less and Save – Low mileage vehicles could earn substantially lower prices.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage – This one isn’t a discount, but some companies like Allstate, Progressive, and GEICO will let one accident slide without raising rates if you have no claims for a certain period of time.
- Mature Driver Discount – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may be able to get better insurance rates.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to fasten their seat belts could save 15% off the personal injury premium cost.
It’s important to note that many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you’re out of luck.
A partial list of companies who may offer these discounts include:
Double check with all the companies which discounts you qualify for. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply to policyholders in Albuquerque. If you would like to choose from a list of insurance companies with discount rates in New Mexico, follow this link.
Here’s why auto insurance is not optional
Even though it can be expensive, insuring your vehicle is required by state law in New Mexico and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- Almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability coverage if you drive a vehicle. In New Mexico these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Subaru has a loan, almost all lenders will make it mandatory that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Subaru at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Auto insurance preserves not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It will also provide coverage for medical transport and hospital expenses incurred in an accident. Liability insurance also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you have damage to your Subaru as the result of the weather or an accident, your auto insurance policy will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of having auto insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially when you need to use it. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is overpaying over $810 a year so compare rate quotes at least once a year to ensure rates are inline.
How to know if you need help
When quoting and choosing insurance from an agent or online, there isn’t really a perfect coverage plan. Every insured’s situation is different.
For example, these questions can help discover whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Is my camper covered by my car insurance policy?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
- Am I covered when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in New Mexico?
- When can I cancel my policy?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Do I need an insurance agent?
Certain consumers would prefer to visit with an insurance agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Good agents are highly skilled in risk management and help in the event of a claim. The best thing about comparing car insurance online is the fact that drivers can get cheap car insurance rates and still have a local agent.
After completing this form (opens in new window), the coverage information gets sent to agents in your area who will give you bids for your coverage. There is no reason to leave your computer since rate quotes are delivered immediately to you. If you need to get a comparison quote for a specific company, you would need to visit that company’s website and fill out their quote form.
Deciding on an company requires more thought than just a cheap price. These are valid questions to ask:
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Is the agency active in community causes in Albuquerque?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Albuquerque?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
Pick the best car insurance agent in Albuquerque for you
When searching for a reputable insurance agent or broker, it’s important to understand the types of agencies and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Albuquerque agents can be categorized as either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Both types of agents can handle car insurance, but it’s a good idea to understand the subtle differences because it can influence buying decisions.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
These type of agents work for only one company such as State Farm or Allstate. They usually cannot compare other company’s rates so it’s a take it or leave it situation. These agents are very knowledgeable on their company’s products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Consumers often buy from the same agent for years mostly because of the brand name instead of buying on price only.
Shown below are exclusive insurance agents in Albuquerque that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Rick Buckner – State Farm Insurance Agent
9601 Sage Rd SW d – Albuquerque, NM 87121 – (505) 833-9596 – View Map
- Rosendo Aragon – State Farm Insurance Agent
1808 Lomas Blvd NW b – Albuquerque, NM 87104 – (505) 247-2921 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Valerie Muldez
8101 San Pedro Dr NE, Ste C1 – Albuquerque, NM 87113 – (505) 881-5056 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
These type of agents are appointed with more than one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with multiple insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If you are not satisfied with one company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you don’t have to switch agencies. If you are comparing car insurance prices, you should always include multiple independent agents in order to compare the most rates. They also have the ability to place coverage with companies that do not advertise much that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Listed below is a short list of independent agents in Albuquerque that are able to give price quote information.
- Webster Insurance Agency Inc
1201 Eubank Blvd Suite 3 – Albuquerque, NM 87112 – (505) 294-1497 – View Map
- Lorraine Y Chavez Insurance Agency, Inc.
8224 Louisiana Blvd NE – Albuquerque, NM 87113 – (505) 821-7123 – View Map
- Sunset Insurance Corporation
1905 San Mateo Blvd NE – Albuquerque, NM 87110 – (505) 247-2578 – View Map
Upon receiving good answers to these questions as well as low cost Subaru Crosstrek insurance quotes, you’ve probably found an insurance agent that meets the requirements to adequately provide car insurance.