It’s safe to conclude that auto insurance companies don’t want you to look for a cheaper policy. People who get comparison quotes at least once a year are likely to switch car insurance companies because of the high probability of finding a more affordable policy. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that people who compared rate quotes regularly saved over $3,500 over four years as compared to drivers who never shopped around for cheaper prices.
If finding the best rates on auto insurance in Albuquerque is your objective, then having an understanding of how to choose a company and compare insurance coverage can make it easier to shop your coverage around.
The best way to get affordable auto insurance rates in Albuquerque is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from providers who can sell car insurance in New Mexico. You can shop around by following these guidelines.
Step 1: Spend a few minutes and learn about how insurance companies determine prices and the things you can control to drop your rates. Many policy risk factors that drive up the price like your driving record and an unacceptable credit score can be eliminated by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
Step 2: Compare rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only quote rates from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can quote rates for many different companies.
Step 3: Compare the price quotes to the price on your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save money and make a switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
Step 4: Notify your agent or company of your intention to cancel your current coverage. Submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application to your new carrier. As soon as you can, safely store the certificate of insurance in an accessible location in your vehicle.
An important bit of advice to remember is that you’ll want to compare the same liability limits and deductibles on each quote and and to get quotes from as many companies as you can. This enables an accurate price comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
If you have a policy now, you stand a good chance to be able to find better prices using these methods. The goal of this article is to tell you how to compare rates easily and some tips to save money. But New Mexico vehicle owners can benefit by having an understanding of how the larger insurance companies compete online and use this information to your advantage.
Most larger insurance companies such as 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm provide insurance quotes online. Obtaining pricing for Saturn Sky insurance in Albuquerque is fairly straightforward because you just enter your personal and coverage information on the page. Behind the scenes, the system gets information on your driving record and credit history and returns pricing information.
Getting online quotes for Saturn Sky insurance in Albuquerque makes it a lot easier to compare rates and it is imperative to get many rate quotes if you want to get affordable car insurance pricing.
In order to find out how much you can save on car insurance, compare rates now from the companies shown below. To compare your current rates, we recommend you input deductibles and limits identical to your current policy. Doing this guarantees you will have a rate comparison using the exact same coverages.
The auto insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide price comparisons in Albuquerque, NM. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you compare several of them in order to find the most affordable rates.
Three good reasons to insure your Saturn vehicle
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Saturn Sky in Albuquerque, insurance may be required for several reasons.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry specific minimum amounts of liability insurance coverage in order to license the vehicle. In New Mexico these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Sky with a loan, most lenders will stipulate that you have insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the lender may insure your Saturn for a lot more money and make you pay the higher premium.
- Insurance safeguards not only your Saturn but also your assets. Insurance will pay for all forms of medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you cause an accident and are sued. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, your policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of buying insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially with large liability claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Albuquerque is overpaying more than $820 a year so you should quote your policy with other companies every year to ensure rates are competitive.
Get lower-cost Saturn Sky insurance in Albuquerque with discounts
Car insurance is not cheap, but there’s a good chance there are discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Certain discounts will be applied when you get a quote, but lesser-known reductions have to be asked for before you will receive the discount. If you aren’t receiving every discount you deserve, you may be paying too high a price.
- Switch and Save Discount – A few insurance companies give discounts for renewing your policy before your current coverage expires. This can save 10% or more.
- Payment Method – By making one initial payment instead of making monthly payments you can actually save on your bill.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you can combine your auto and home policy with one company you could save nearly 15% which can help you find cheap Sky insurance.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Insureds who avoid accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than drivers with accidents.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or retired federal employment could qualify for a slight premium decrease with certain companies.
- Good Students Pay Less – Excelling in school can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. Many companies even apply the discount to college students well after school through age 25.
- Accident Waiver – This isn’t a discount exactly, but a few companies such as Progressive and Allstate will forgive one accident before raising your premiums if you are claim-free for a set time period.
- Drivers Education – Cut your cost by having your teen driver take driver’s ed class as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Safety Course Discount – Successfully completing a driver safety course could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. Just because it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous.
If you would like to view companies that offer the discounts shown above in New Mexico, follow this link.
When should I contact an insurance agent?
A lot of people would rather talk to an insurance agent and that is just fine! One of the best bonuses of comparing car insurance online is you can get better rates and still have a local agent. And supporting small agencies is important especially in Albuquerque.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this simple form, your insurance data is sent to local insurance agents that give free quotes for your coverage. You won’t need to search for any insurance agencies because quoted prices will be sent straight to your inbox. You can find lower rates AND an agent nearby. If you have a need to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, you would need to go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
If you are wanting to find a local Albuquerque insurance agency, you must know there are a couple different types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agencies in Albuquerque are categorized either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent do not sell for just one brand and that is an advantage because they can write policies with many different companies and get the cheapest rates. If you want to switch companies, the business is moved internally and that require little work on your part.
When comparing car insurance rates, it’s recommended you get some free quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to have the best price comparison. Most have the option of insuring with companies that do not advertise much who may have lower rates.
Below is a short list of independent agents in Albuquerque that may be able to give you price quote information.
- J. B. Martin Insurance Agency
8500 Menaul Blvd NE #345 – Albuquerque, NM 87112 – (505) 888-8846 – View Map
- Webster Insurance Agency Inc
1201 Eubank Blvd Suite 3 – Albuquerque, NM 87112 – (505) 294-1497 – View Map
- Commercial West Insurance
2616 Mesilla St NE #2 – Albuquerque, NM 87110 – (505) 255-9577 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
These type of agents work for only one company such as Allstate and State Farm. They generally cannot provide other company’s prices so it’s a take it or leave it situation. These agents are very knowledgeable on the products they sell which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Consumers sometimes purchase coverage from exclusives mostly because of the brand legacy rather than low rates.
Below is a list of exclusive agencies in Albuquerque who can help you get rate quotes.
- Francis Harding – State Farm Insurance Agent
4420 4th St NW – Albuquerque, NM 87107 – (505) 242-6231 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Larry Gaylord
3296 Coors Blvd NW d – Albuquerque, NM 87120 – (505) 836-4630 – View Map
- Stephanie Valdez – State Farm Insurance Agent
5921 Lomas Blvd NE a – Albuquerque, NM 87110 – (505) 255-8676 – View Map
Picking a auto insurance agent should depend on more than just the bottom line cost. These questions are important to ask:
- How would your car be valued if totaled?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Does the company have a local claim office in Albuquerque?
After getting good responses for all questions you ask as well as offering an affordable quote, you have narrowed it down to an auto insurance agent that meets the criteria to properly insure your vehicles.
Always keep in mind that when comparing coverage, there is no single plan that fits everyone. You are unique.
For example, these questions could help you determine whether your personal situation might need professional guidance.
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- What is the difference between personal and commercial auto insurance policies?
- Is coverage enough to protect my assets?
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
- Am I insured when driving a different vehicle?
- Is my babysitter covered when using my vehicle?
- Am I covered while delivering pizza?
- Is my vehicle covered by my employer’s policy when using it for work?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions then you might want to talk to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form.
Learn about insurance coverages for a Saturn Sky
Knowing the specifics of insurance can be of help when determining the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Insurance terms can be impossible to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
This provides protection from other motorists when they are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered losses include injuries to you and your family and damage to your Saturn Sky.
Since many New Mexico drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (New Mexico limits are 25/50/10), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important. Most of the time these limits are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
This will pay to fix damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims such as hitting a bird, falling objects, a broken windshield and damage from flooding. The highest amount your insurance company will pay is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Medical expense insurance
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for expenses for funeral costs, dental work, pain medications and hospital visits. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance program or if you lack health insurance entirely. They cover both the driver and occupants and also covers if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Coverage for collisions
Collision insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from a collision with an object or car. You will need to pay your deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage protects against claims like rolling your car, damaging your car on a curb and driving through your garage door. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are older. Drivers also have the option to raise the deductible on your Sky in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Auto liability insurance
This coverage protects you from damage or injury you incur to a person or their property by causing an accident. This coverage protects you from legal claims by others. Liability doesn’t cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have policy limits of 25/50/10 which stand for $25,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and a total limit of $10,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Occasionally you may see a combined single limit or CSL which limits claims to one amount and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage pays for claims such as repair costs for stationary objects, structural damage, repair bills for other people’s vehicles, attorney fees and medical expenses. How much liability should you purchase? That is a decision to put some thought into, but buy as high a limit as you can afford. New Mexico requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/10 but it’s recommended drivers buy more coverage.
The illustration below demonstrates why low liability limits may not be adequate.
More effort can pay off
Drivers change insurance companies for any number of reasons including poor customer service, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, questionable increases in premium and not issuing a premium refund. It doesn’t matter what your reason, switching companies can be less work than you think.
We just showed you many ideas to save on Saturn Sky insurance in Albuquerque. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the better likelihood of getting inexpensive Albuquerque car insurance quotes. You may even discover the lowest auto insurance rates come from the smaller companies.
Budget-friendly car insurance in Albuquerque can be sourced online and from local insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some car insurance companies may not provide rates over the internet and most of the time these regional carriers work with independent insurance agents.
Even more information can be read in these articles:
- What is Full Coverage? (Allstate)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Toyota RAV4 in Albuquerque? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Kia Optima in Albuquerque? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Honda Civic in Albuquerque? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Albuquerque Auto Insurance for Uber Drivers? (FAQ)
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)
- Think You’re a Safe Driver? (State Farm)
- No-Fault Auto Insurance Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)