Unimaginable but true, the vast majority of consumers have bought car insurance from the same company for more than four years, and practically 40% of car insurance customers have never compared rates to find cheaper insurance. With the average car insurance premium being $1,240, New Mexico drivers can save hundreds of dollars each year just by shopping around, but they don’t know the actual amount they would save if they switched.
The most effective way to find the cheapest price for auto insurance rates in Albuquerque is to start comparing prices regularly from insurers in New Mexico. Rate comparisons can be done by completing these steps.
- Try to learn a little about what coverages are included in your policy and the modifications you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that are responsible for high rates like at-fault accidents, careless driving, and a substandard credit history can be remedied by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Compare prices from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can provide price quotes for a wide range of companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy to see if a cheaper rate is available. If you can save money, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Provide adequate notice to your current company of your decision to cancel the current policy and submit payment and a signed application for your new coverage. Once the paperwork is finalized, keep the new certificate verifying proof of insurance in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
A key point to remember is to compare similar coverage information on each price quote and and to look at as many different companies as possible. This helps ensure an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete rate analysis.
Finding the cheapest insurance coverage in Albuquerque is really not that difficult. Essentially every car owner who compares rates for insurance will find better rates. But New Mexico drivers do need to know the way companies sell insurance online because it varies considerably.
When shopping for affordable Saab 9-7X insurance quotes, there are a couple of ways to compare rate quotes from many available car insurance companies in New Mexico. The simplest method to comparison shop is to use the internet to compare rates.
When price shopping your coverage, having more price comparisons helps you find more affordable insurance.
The following companies are ready to provide quotes in Albuquerque, NM. If your goal is to find cheap auto insurance in Albuquerque, it’s highly recommended you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
Car insurance is not optional
Despite the fact that car insurance is not cheap in Albuquerque, maintaining insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car. In New Mexico these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your 9-7X, it’s most likely the lender will require you to buy full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Saab at a more expensive rate and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards both your car and your personal assets. Insurance will pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, your car insurance policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of buying car insurance definitely exceed the price paid, particularly when you have a large claim. According to a recent study, the average American driver is overpaying more than $800 each year so you should quote and compare rates at least once a year to ensure rates are competitive.
Determine discounts on Albuquerque insurance
Not too many consumers would say insurance is affordable, but there are discounts available to help bring down the price. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you complete an application, but once in a while a discount must be manually applied before you will receive the discount.
- Senior Discount – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens can possibly qualify for better insurance rates.
- Paperless Signup – Some of the larger companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying your policy on the internet.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems have a lower chance of being stolen so companies will give you a small discount.
- Government Employees – Employees or retirees of the government can earn a discount up to 10% with a few insurance companies.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being deployed in the military could be rewarded with lower premium rates.
- Onboard Data Collection – Insureds that choose to allow driving data submission to scrutinize vehicle usage by using a telematics device in their vehicle like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive’s Snapshot might see lower rates if they have good driving habits.
- Albuquerque Homeowners Pay Less – Owning a house in Albuquerque can save you money because it shows financial diligence.
Policy discounts save money, but most discount credits are not given to the whole policy. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So even though it sounds like you could get a free insurance policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
A list of insurance companies and their offered discounts are:
- GEICO may have discounts that include anti-theft, daytime running lights, defensive driver, anti-lock brakes, emergency military deployment, federal employee, and good student.
- Travelers offers discounts for continuous insurance, multi-car, hybrid/electric vehicle, home ownership, payment discounts, and new car.
- Farm Bureau offers premium reductions for good student, multi-policy, youthful driver, safe driver, multi-vehicle, 55 and retired, and renewal discount.
- Liberty Mutual discounts include new graduate, teen driver discount, preferred payment discount, hybrid vehicle, and safety features.
- American Family includes discounts for defensive driver, Steer into Savings, accident-free, good driver, air bags, and TimeAway discount.
- Progressive may offer discounts for multi-vehicle, homeowner, online signing, multi-policy, and good student.
If you are trying to find inexpensive Albuquerque car insurance quotes, ask each company or agent which discounts they offer. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply to policies in every state.
Exclusive versus independent insurance agents
Some people still prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that is just fine! The biggest benefit of getting free rate quotes online is you can get better rates and still have an agent to talk to.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is sent to agents in your area that provide free Albuquerque car insurance quotes to get your business. You don’t have to drive around due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to you. You can most likely find cheaper rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you wish to compare prices from a specific insurance provider, just visit that company’s website and give them your coverage information.
Deciding on an provider should depend on more than just a low price. Any good agent in Albuquerque should know the answers to these questions.
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- How are claims handled?
- How long has the business existed?
- How often do they review coverages?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
If you would like to find a reputable insurance agent or broker, you should know the different types of agencies that you can choose from. Insurance agencies can be categorized as either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Agents in the exclusive channel have only one company to place business with and examples are State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. These agents are unable to shop your coverage around so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products which aids in selling service over price. Many people choose to use a exclusive agent mainly due to the prominence of the brand and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Shown below are Albuquerque exclusive insurance agencies that are able to give price quotes.
- Steve Kunkle – State Farm Insurance Agent
1336 Wyoming Blvd NE – Albuquerque, NM 87112 – (505) 292-5940 – View Map
- Jesse Leal – State Farm Insurance Agent
141 Eubank Blvd – Albuquerque, NM 87123 – (505) 294-8662 – View Map
- Matt Medina – State Farm Insurance Agent
4253 Montgomery Blvd NE g205 – Albuquerque, NM 87109 – (505) 881-8100 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agencies
Independent agencies do not sell for just one brand so they can quote policies with an assortment of companies and get the cheapest rates. If premiums increase, an independent agent can move your coverage and you don’t have to switch agencies. When comparing rate quotes, we recommend you check rates from at least one independent agent to get the best comparison. They often place coverage with smaller regional carriers who may have lower rates.
The following is a list of independent insurance agencies in Albuquerque willing to provide rate quotes.
- Commercial West Insurance
2616 Mesilla St NE #2 – Albuquerque, NM 87110 – (505) 255-9577 – View Map
- J B Martin Commercial, Homeowners, Auto, Health and Life Insurance Agency
2800 San Mateo Blvd NE – Albuquerque, NM 87110 – (505) 299-7444 – View Map
- Webster Insurance Agency Inc
1201 Eubank Blvd Suite 3 – Albuquerque, NM 87112 – (505) 294-1497 – View Map
You are unique and your car insurance should be too
When buying proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really isn’t a single plan that fits everyone. Your financial needs are unique so your insurance should reflect that
For example, these questions can aid in determining whether or not you could use an agent’s help.
- If I drive on a suspended license am I covered?
- If I use my vehicle for business use is it covered?
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Is there a penalty for late payment?
- Why do I only qualify for high-risk insurance?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount?
- What is the minimum liability in New Mexico?
- Can I rent a car in Mexico?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Learn about auto insurance coverages for a Saab 9-7X
Knowing the specifics of a auto insurance policy helps when choosing the best coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. Policy terminology can be difficult to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. Listed below are typical coverages found on most auto insurance policies.
Comprehensive coverages – This coverage pays for damage from a wide range of events other than collision. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things such as damage from a tornado or hurricane, damage from getting keyed, falling objects, theft and damage from flooding. The most you’ll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Auto liability – This coverage provides protection from injuries or damage you cause to other’s property or people that is your fault. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see liability limits of 25/50/10 which stand for a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and property damage coverage for $10,000.
Liability can pay for claims such as emergency aid, bail bonds and court costs. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is up to you, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. New Mexico requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/10 but drivers should carry more coverage.
The illustration below demonstrates why minimum state limits may not provide you with enough coverage.
Collision coverage – Collision coverage covers damage to your 9-7X caused by collision with another car or object. A deductible applies and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage protects against claims such as colliding with another moving vehicle, hitting a parking meter, crashing into a ditch and hitting a mailbox. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider dropping it from lower value vehicles. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible on your 9-7X to get cheaper collision coverage.
Coverage for medical payments – Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for short-term medical expenses such as prosthetic devices, nursing services and rehabilitation expenses. They are used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. It covers all vehicle occupants and also covers getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not universally available and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Uninsured and underinsured coverage – This gives you protection when the “other guys” are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your Saab 9-7X.
Since a lot of drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (25/50/10 in New Mexico), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is important protection for you and your family.
The lowest rates come from being thorough
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of techniques to compare Saab 9-7X insurance prices in Albuquerque. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Drivers may even discover the most savings is with the smaller companies. Smaller companies may only write in your state and offer lower rates compared to the large companies like Progressive and GEICO.
A few companies don’t offer online rate quotes and usually these regional carriers prefer to sell through independent insurance agents. More affordable insurance in Albuquerque is available both online and from local insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best selection.
Additional information can be read below:
- Avoiding Deer Collisions (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Albuquerque Car Insurance Rates for 18 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Single Moms in Albuquerque? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 60 in Albuquerque? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Electric Cars in Albuquerque? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Police Officers in Albuquerque? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for State Employees in Albuquerque? (FAQ)
- Five Tips to Save on Auto Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)